twitter instagram bloglovin tumblr pinterest youtube

Friday, December 26, 2014

I went 'Into the Woods' on Christmas day.


There were a number of highly anticipated films released on Christmas day; 'Unbroken', 'The Interview' and 'Annie' to name a few.  But the film I ended up seeing was 'Into the Woods'.  I didn't know what to expect upon walking in, but was pleased with this irreverent mash up of classic fairy tales.  The music was tremendous, and the performances (especially of Meryl Streep and Anna Kendrick) were spectacular.  They seemed to have quite a bit of fun with the stories and didn't take them too seriously.  The number "Agony" demonstrated that very well and had me laughing out loud a number of times.
However, I will say that I enjoyed the first 1/2-2/3 of the movie much more than the last bit.  The story really lost me when they kept moving to different people in the woods.  It felt very aimless and somewhat disorienting.  I also had a problem with Johnny Depp's slightly pedophile like pursuit of Red Riding Hood.  It was unsettling to say the least.
Aside from those elements, I thought the film was quite enjoyable.  The set and wardrobe were gorgeous, and all around I think it is a great choice for an outing this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment